Thursday, November 7, 2013

True Confessions of a Former Technophobe

When I started reflecting my use of technology during instruction I thought about the types of technology I use, the cool websites I have taught the students use, and my favorite - Edmodo. I realized though that before I could get into explaining and highlighting the different tools I used I need to first discuss why I didn't use technology in my classroom. And that was a mixture of pride and fear.

I am not a "tech guru."  For several years, I went without using  all of the cool resources I had available because I didn't want to admit I didn't know how, and I was afraid of not having it work and looking silly in front of my students. As I began to realize that my kids were really missing out on some great opportunities for learning, I had to be brave.  I had to figure out the technology.

For me, that meant asking questions, finding a patient person who could show me a few things, playing around a lot, and then doing what I do best...teaching others how to use the things I had discovered. I began by using the video tutorials on the websites I was using or even using YouTube videos to figure out things I was unsure about. I also found a co-worker who was great at instructional technology and I would ask questions and work with her and her classes collaboratively in order soak in all of the technology I could. When I found new resources I spent time to make demo versions of what I wanted my students to make. I was able to anticipate the questions they had or possible glitches that might occur. Then, when I felt comfortable, I would share with other teachers in my department or in my building my newly gained skill.  This would prepare me even more and help me to feel even more comfortable with the new software, website, or tool.

By no means did I turn into a "tech guru" (true confession: I had to watch a You Tube video on how to copy and paste on my new Mac Book last month), but I am more comfortable and have more confidence so that my pride and fear will no longer be stumbling blocks to using instructional technology.

If you find yourself hesitant about trying something new, I encourage you to ask questions, find someone who will patiently guide you, play around with it, and then teach it to others. Take advantage of all the amazing resources that we have available.

And if you happen to be a "tech guru" and it comes naturally to you? Take the time to help answer the questions of someone more hesitant. Maybe even partner with them on a collaborative project. Our students will surely benefit from the time you take, and the hesitant teacher will be thankful for the support.

Carrie Jones is a reading coach at University Place Elementary School.  Connect with her on Twitter, where she's @carriekeyjones.

No comments:

Post a Comment